As part of ongoing quality analysis, it has been established internationally that due to long-term influences in areas of high humidity, moisture may affect the operation of the drivers and passengers front airbag modules. In the case that these airbags are activated, there may be an increased volume of internal pressure. This could lead to the metal casing of the gas generator rupturing.
BMW is not aware of any inflator ruptures in its cars due to humidity conditions. However, to ensure that these vehicles are in perfect working order the drivers and /or passengers front airbag modules must be checked for defects. If required, we will replace the affected airbag module/s and naturally this check and/or replacement will be completed free of charge.
The below BMW vehicle models are affected by the Airbag recall
- E46 3 Series (Produced from 1998 - 2005)
- E39 5 Series (Produced from 1995 - 2003)
- E53 X5 (Produced from 1999 - 2006)
- E7x (X5 2006 - 2013 or X6 2008 - 2014)
- E8x (1 Series all variants 2004 - 2011 , X1 2009 - 2015, X3 2003 - 2010, Z4 2009 - 2017)
- E9x (3 Series all variants 2004 - 2013)
- F0x (7 Series all variants 2008 - 2015)
- F1x (5 Series all variants 2009 - 2017)
- F2x (1 Series 2011- , 2 Series Coupe / Convertible 2013- , X3 and X4 2011 - 2018)
- F3x (3 Series all variants 2013-)
- F4x (2 Series Active Tourer 2013- , X1 2015-)
- F12 (6 Series Convertible 2012-)
- F13 (6 Series Coupe 2012-)
As this is a worldwide safety recall and affects many countries, we are endeavouring to source parts and complete the campaign as quickly as possible. Within the scope of this safety recall, the preferred authorised BMW Dealer will attempt to carry out this work as soon as possible and will contact owners when parts are made available.